Monday, June 1, 2009

Oh Sugar



If I said I was addicted to Geophagy would you have any idea what I was talking about?
You know about heroin and cigarettes, but what about less main stream addictions such as sugar or dirt?



An addiction is described as 'the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.' (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction)


I read an article in Cosmopolitan magazine about people who can't function without sugar. I'm not as chronic a case as those who have cake for breakfast and lollies for afternoon tea, but I do go to the super market every few days just especially to buy lollies. Forget veges, there's nothing I like more than a fat bag full of pick n' mix sweets. Can you relate to this? chances are, you can in one form of food or drink. http://www.thefitshack.com/2007/03/21/are-you-addicted-to-sugar/


Consuming sugar loaded foods will send a rush through your blood stream, a feeling that will make you feel good. Problem is, the feeling passes and you are left wanting it again. There are two parts to an addiction, the physical, and the psychological. We can blame both on opiates, the addictive substances found in drugs, an in this case, sugar. Opiates are highly narcotic, creating a sedated or euphoric feeling.


Addictions vary widely and half have aren't curbed by body absorbed substances . A Brazilian man called Luis Squarisi suffers from what he calls an addiction to funerals. He quit his job so he could attend every funeral in his town, Batatais, for the last 20 years. "What set me off was my father's death in 1983. The first thing I do every morning is to turn on the radio to find out if anyone has died, if I don't hear it on the radio I call the hospitals and the local funeral home", said the 43-year-old.


Geophagy is the act of eating dirt. It may sound comical, but it can be found as a common practice in third world countries, stemming from cultural and environmental factors. In the slums of Haiti, people make dirt pies every day. Baobao, an 18 year-old woman from Mongolia became famous after eating dirt for 11years. 'Baobao’s addiction has had serious implications for her neighbour’s roof, made from mud which is traditionally used as a weather resistant material.' In Western countries it is confined to people suffering chronic mental illnesses. (http://www.neatorama.com/2006/05/17/the-girl-who-eats-dirt/ )

2 comments:

  1. Jamie...i have never heard of this term Geophagy before! At first, i thought you were talking about Geography until i read on and found that its about sugar and dirt...mmmm my favorite! lol You have opened my eyes with this concept as i had no idea that people could survive on eating dirt, isn't it harmful with bad bacterias in it? I can remember making dirt pies when i was 6 years old with worms as a side dish, i could never picture myself eating dirt for 11 years and still being alive to tell the tale. It is quite sad that people in third world coutries have no choice but to adapt to this way of life, i dont think people take how lucky we are serious enough. I am just as guilty as you with venturing down to the supermarket just to buy lollies lol An interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thought you meant to say Geography Jaimee...Sam is right, this is a v. interesting topic. By reading about these addictions I realise just how complex people are. Some, sure, eat dirt as a means of surviving but in Luis Squarisi's case it seemed that he has been deeply affected by his father's death and perhaps is holding on to the past by putting all his energy into attending funerals. Is it his way of putting off the future, a delay tactic of sorts? I only today discovered a website listing all types of unknown phobias there are so many out there. Which makes me think that naming things helps people deal with what they are having to face. You said Squarisi called his actions himself an addiction. Maybe he does so to convince himself that he can't help it.

    ReplyDelete